FOODragon is very easy to use. Any dish is just a few clicks away on a simple and intuitive user interface. This short user manual will guide you step by step through every feature of FOODragon to make sure you will make the best use of everything the app has to offer and that you will know what to expect on each point.
FOODragon’s welcome screen is pretty straight forward. At the bottom of the screen you will find the three main navigation buttons: Search, Favorites and Share.
Each button leads to a new screen but the three of them remain available on every screen throughout the app pages.
Dish searching in the main purpose of FOODragon. There are two way to search for a dish in FOODragon: Smart Search and Free Text Search.
Smart search is the default search method. Here is the smart search panel at its default state:
- Dish counter – showing the current number of search results.
- Main search categories – tapping the title of a main category will expand its window and show the selection buttons.
- Go! button – Tapping this button will run the search.
- Clear – Clears all selection and reset the search form.
- Text Search – Go to text search screen.
In the smart search panel you can search for a dish a according to different dish criteria:
- Select different buttons according to what you are looking for.
- When you select a button its color will become darker.
- Tapping on a selected button will release it and change its color back to what it was.
- FOODragon dish counter will keep telling you the current number of results for every selection.
- You may select more than one button in each category or leave a category unselected.
- Once you are done selecting tap on the GO! button on the bottom right of the page.
- Tap the Clear button to clear all selected button and reset the form.
Here is the smart search panel with main search categories open and selected buttons.
Note: When you first enter the smart search panel FOODragon shows the total number of the dishes on your system. If you don’t select any category the search result will be all the dishes you currently have on on your device.
Text search is very easy. It gives you the option to look for a specific word in the name of a dish or its description:
- If you haven’t done so already, tap on the Text Search button in the smart search panel.
- Tap inside the search line.
- Use the keyboard to type in the search word (eggplants, Muslim, peanuts, tofu etc).
- Click the Search button.
- Click the Smart Search button to go back to the smart search panel.
Note: You cannot use free text search and smart search at the same time.
After you click the Go! button a list of dishes will be displayed.
- Swipe up and down to see all the dishes on the list.
- Click on a dish to enter its page and see its photo, description and Chinese name.
- If didn’t find a dish you like go back to search panel (Back button is on the top left corner), change the search parameters and search again.
- Spicy dishes will be marked with a red chili pepper on the right.
- New dishes which were downloaded recently will be marked as new (full version only).
After you have selected a dish from the search result the dish’s page will open. This page contains the following:
- Counter (dish X out of Y).
- Dish name in English.
- Dish name in Chinese to show the Chinese person waiting on you.
- A lightweight photo of the dish.
- Dish categories.
- A short description of the dish, main ingredients and availability.
- Previous Dish and Next Dish buttons.
- Add favorites / Remove from favorites button.
- Share dish (via email) button.
Note: Description contains only the main ingredients of the dish and not every ingredient and substance that were part of the cooking process. If you suffer from allergies you should confirm with the restaurant everything the dish contains (See FOODragon website Aid page). The Description is based on the most common way the dish is made but there may be some changes from restaurant to restaurant.
Note: All the dish photos were taken in actual Chinese restaurants, but for obvious reasons they cannot fully represent the dish you might get in terms of shape, size and other aspects.
When you are in the dish page you may:
- Swipe the screen left and right to move the next and previous dish pages on the search results.
- Click the Back button (top left corner) to go back to the list of search results.
- Add / remove dish from favorites by tapping the star on the top right corner of the screen (full version only).
The full version of FOODragon enables you to maintain a list of favorite dishes for quick access and without searching.
- To add or remove a dish from your favorites simply highlight or dim the star within the dish page.
- To access your list of favorite dishes click on the star in FOODdragon’s main screen.
Recommend the entire app or a single dish to your friends via email.
- To recommend a single dish click the Share button while viewing the page of the dish you to share.
- To recommend FOODragon application click on the Share button in any other screen.
- Type in your name, the receiver’s email address and a personal message and click send.